Connecting a Client Computer to the Server Computer
- Open OrderTrac. The Client/Server selection screen should be displayed
- Choose Client
- Enter the Server name or IP Address into the server textbox. This information can be found on in OrderTrac on the computer acting as a server. On the menu bar at the top, select Network > Client/Server Info. Note: If server name does not work, try the IP address.
- Click connect. It might take a few moments for the client to connect to the server.
If you see ‘Error connecting to server’, try the following in this order:
- Restart server computer – IMPORTANT! This must be done if OrderTrac was just installed on the server computer.
- Restart the client computer.
- Verify the client and server are on the same network.
- Try entering both the server name and IP address as shown in the steps above.
- Verify your client and server are on the same domain/homegroup/workgroup. To verify this:
- In Windows 7/8, open the Control panel
- Click ‘Choose homegroup and sharing options’. If your computer is not on a domain, go to step 3. If on a Domain, make sure all clients and server are on the same Domain.
- If a homegroup/workgroup is already set up on one of your computers running OrderTrac, join all the other computers to the existing homegroup/workgroup. Otherwise, create one and join all other computers.
- Disable any installed anti-virus or firewall computer installed on the server computer temporarily to see if that is what is blocking the connection
- Verify windows firewall port is open on the server computer:
- Open the control panel, and select ‘System and Security’
- Select ‘Windows Firewall’
- Select ‘Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall’
- Verify ‘POSTGRE PORT 5432’ is on the list and checked